Ever wonder what public health means? What the heck is a Public Health Superhero? Join the BCCDC Foundation for Public Health in partnership with Science World for a free public event to demystify, debunk, and decode public health. Meet BC’s very own public health superheroes from the BC Centre for Disease Control, who work tirelessly to keep you healthy and prevent harm in our communities. Share your own health superhero stories and show off your best cape!
Moderated by BC’s Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry--basically BC’s Public Health Wonder Woman--this event will cover important topics like immunizations, sexual health, overdose crisis response, and the “how-to” of public health like laboratory work.
We’ll answer your most pressing questions with Q&A, and answer some of the questions you didn’t even know you had, like “what’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever done in public health?” (hint: it has to do with the wrong end of a goat).
- Dr Bonnie Henry, moderator and BC Provincial Health Office
- Dr Monika Naus, Medical Director of the Communicable Diseases & Immunization Service at BCCDC
- Dr Troy Grennan, physician lead for Provincial HIV/STI Program at BCCDC
- Sara Young, Manager, Hepatitis & Harm Reduction Services at BCCDC
- Agatha Jassem, Clinical Microbiologist & Program Head, Virology BCCDC Public Health Laboratory
Other speakers to be announced
Join the BCCDC Foundation for this event which will also be the launch of a new public health podcast series, and learn about the often-invisible work happening in our province that keeps you safe every day. Superhero attire encouraged!
Date: August 7, 2019
Time: 7:30pm (Doors open at 6:45)
Location: Science World at TELUS World of Science