Registration for the 2023-2024 school year is now open.
We offer all Metro Vancouver students in Grades 11 and 12 the opportunity to gain valuable volunteer work experience at Science World. The placements are three-weeks-long (60 to 80 hours) and are aligned with the school-year calendar. Teachers are invited to sign up students they feel would benefit from a placement at Science World.
For more information on what the role involves and how students can benefit from participating, please read the position description.
The year is divided into three-week-long placement periods, the first of which begins in September, following the school-year calendar. We can accommodate a limited number of students during each placement period. All placements begin on a Saturday and continue until the fourth following Sunday.
Hours are 8:30 am–5:30 pm Monday–Sunday. Holiday hours may vary.
Register by contacting Science World via email at [email protected] on the day of registration. No telephone reservations, please. In your email, indicate how many placements you would like to reserve for any of the work terms listed in the HSWE program.
The registration process is on a first-come, first-served basis. Register your students as soon as possible, as placements fill up quickly.
For more information on available placement periods and placement details, read through the program.
Good stuff for you to know:
- A maximum of two students from each school during each placement are permitted, and up to ten placement requests per school.
- Science World will contact you about the status of your application within five days of receiving your request.
- If the desired term is full, your students will be placed on a waitlist, and you will be kept apprised of their status.
- To confirm your reserved placements, submit the students’ names and phone numbers to Science World no less than three weeks before the start of the work-placement term.
- If you fail to confirm your reserved placements, they will be given to students on the waitlist.
- If you have students on the waitlist, you will be contacted up to two weeks before the placement about any openings.
- Following confirmation, students will be contacted for an interview to determine their suitability. If your student is found to be unsuitable for a placement, you will be contacted directly about a replacement.
- If your school's work experience placement dates do not match Science World's please email us at [email protected] as soon as possible.