Science World is committed to supporting science and technology education throughout British Columbia. In recent consultations with BC teachers we identified a need for more in-service teacher support, especially to support the new curriculum. Science World’s professional development workshops embrace an approach to teaching and learning that reflects the new curriculum’s focus on place-based, inquiry learning.
Teacher professional development is part of Tech-Up, Science World's initiative to enhance existing programs to include coding and computational thinking. Working with School District and curriculum consultant experts in coding and digital skills, new instructional modules will be developed. The modules will be delivered through new and established channels for teacher professional development including:
- peer to peer training (with professional coaching, reporting and follow-up)
- conference sessions (delivered at provincial, district-wide and school-based events)
- science-centre based and school-based evening and after-school workshops
- STEAM Days (week-long summer intensives, held in Vancouver and Prince George in August 2018).
New! Evening Teacher's Series
Science World is pleased to introduce a new way for K to 9 teachers to learn and connect with others in the teaching community around a topic in Computational Thinking. These FREE 2 hour workshops will be held after-school at TELUS World of Science in Vancouver, between November and May, and pre-registration is required. We are also pleased to offer a number of these sessions en français!
Participants do not have to register for all sessions, but we will be building on concepts from one session to the other. Participants are encouraged to register for the entire series in their language of choice.
November 13, 2018
|Introduction to computational thinking (K to 9): |
In this session, we will be unpacking computational thinking into it’s components as we explore how CT goes beyond coding and integrates into all curriculum subjects.
November 28, 2018
|Coding Without Computers (K to 9): |
Building on our introduction to computational thinking, this workshop is for those who are struggling with equipment and technology, or for those who are looking at offline ways to integrate coding into your classroom.
December 6, 2018
|Introduction à la pensée informatique (M à la 9e): |
En explorant les différents éléments de la pensée informatique, nous allons explorer comment cela va au-delà de la programmation et comment l’intégrer dans tous les programmes d’études.
Keep an eye out in December to sign up for sessions starting in January:
- La programmation sans technologie
- Computational Thinking across the curriculum
- Enseignement interdisciplinaire: comment intégrer la pensée informatique dans vos leçons
- Assessing Computational Thinking through interdisciplinary activities
- L’évaluation de la pensée informatique à travers des activités interdisciplinaire
- Using Micro: bits for project-based learning
Each session is based on Science World’s professional development offerings for teachers. See offerings below if you’re interested in Science World delivering a particular session for staff at your school.